The multiplanar lunge is a great mobility exercise that dynamically stretches the muscles surrounding the hip joint. The hip is a joint that is often very restricted in terms of range of motion and needs to be addressed. Once the hip becomes inflexible, we rely on the lower back and knee to accommodate for this loss of motion. In the long run, the chance of injury and pain drastically increases. That is why it’s essential to ensure all of our joints have the necessary range of motion to function optimally and prevent other joints from being overstressed. Not only can we use this exercise to improve hip mobility but it also strengthens the hip muscles, and improves balance and stability in multiple planes of motion.
Steps to properly execute the exercise:
- Take a big step forward with one leg
- Once the front foot touches down, lower the body down towards the ground
- Push strong off the front foot to move back to the starting position
- Take a big step to the side much wider then your normal base
- As the foot touches down, sit all the weight onto the heel and push your butt back
- The stationary leg should straighten out completely
- Push strong off the lateral leg to move back to the starting position
- While facing forward, step and rotate one leg away from your original position
- As the foot touches down, bend at the knee and lunge in the same direction
- Do not let the front foot move from its position
- Push strong off of the rotated leg to move back to the started position
Notes: Always maintain good upright posture with the shoulder blades pulled back. Remember, in the lateral and transverse lunge, one leg is bending and lowering you down as the other straightens out.
Garrett McLaughlin is an Athletic Trainer and Personal Trainer in Nashville, TN. He creates personal training and injury rehabilitation programs for the general population and athletes. Garrett is passionate about not only working one-on-one with clients, but educating them on health & wellness so they can continue making positive choices throughout their lives. Check out Garrett’s Facebook wellness page for more frequent information.